Friday, July 20, 2012

Listening to the Spidey Sense

Yesterday also turned out to be pretty good. I guess I'm on a roll. I did get a little bad news, but it was balanced by some additional not-bad news that included some really nice and encouraging comments about my work. I'm still loving the book I'm proofreading. I'm reading a book I'm really enjoying. My house is cool. Life is good.

I'm also starting to really look forward to WorldCon next month. I bought my plane ticket this week when my Spidey Sense suddenly told me to go check airfares, and they were more than a hundred dollars cheaper than the last time I checked (my Spidey Sense has been right about both the AC and the airfares, so I think I'd better continue listening to it). Normally as I get closer to a trip like this, I start wondering if I really want to go and have a bad case of "don't want to leave the house" kick in. Now not only am I excited about going to Chicago, but I'm catching myself mentally planning other trips. Depending on how money stuff works out (if I sell the book currently on submission, if book 5 sells well enough that I make decent money on it), I may even take a real vacation this fall, or at least a work-related trip that has some fun or down-time built into it. I haven't been to New York in a few years, and if I sell the book, then I'll want to go meet the new editor, and I'll have some research to do.

In the meantime, this will likely be a reasonably quiet weekend, which will be nice after last weekend being so busy. I don't have a movie for tonight, but I've got plenty on the shelves if I decide to watch something instead of read, and there's a new Phineas and Ferb episode tonight. I think I'm going to attempt to make shrimp creole. I have some shrimp in the freezer that I need to use, and I've got the other ingredients on hand. I'll just have to see if I can mentally recreate the recipe after watching my mom do it so many times. Saturday I have to sing for a funeral, so I imagine I'll need a fairly quiet evening afterward. Funerals are draining, whether or not I knew the person. In this case, it's the husband of a friend. I didn't know him, but I know her very well (she's sort of my adopted choir mom), so it's rather heartbreaking, and my social skills really aren't up to dealing with this sort of thing. I just kind of freeze and mumble.

But first, I have to finish proofreading, finish my PR plan and make a quick Home Depot run because the bulb in one of my oddball light fixtures burned out, and the Home Depot is the only place that carries that kind (have I mentioned how much I love the person who designed my house?). I may peruse paint colors, but there's no point in getting any or making a decision because the AC company still hasn't fixed my wall or called me about scheduling a time to fix it. I may have to start nagging. I'll give them until Monday. That will be a full week, enough time for them to at least have updated me on the status. I have a feeling it fell between the cracks (no pun intended) (Spidey Sense activated).

No comments: