Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Therapeutic Twirling

My house is still clean. My taxes are almost done -- I've filled out a draft set of forms in pencil and now need to run the numbers one more time and fill out the final set in ink and then put them in the mail. I get a nice-sized refund this year since I made very little money last year but paid estimated taxes based on the previous year. Let's just say that writing novels is not necessarily a fast track to fame and fortune, and anyone who justifies pirating books because authors are wealthy is ill informed and ignorant. I'd bet that most people who posted my books for illegal download or who illegally downloaded them made more money than I did last year (and they had something to do with me making little money).

Doing my taxes makes me crabby (which is why I tend to put it off). On the up side, it's easier to read A Clash of Kings as a break from doing my taxes because it suddenly becomes relatively cheerier. I'm in the mood for stabbings and beheadings. I'm thinking of making a character chart so I can X off people when they die.

Now I have to name a book because I've found that there was something in the air and everyone else seems to have used the title I had in mind, and fairly recently. I don't mind using one that came up in a different genre more than a few years ago, but I don't think it's such a great idea to use one that gets you a couple of pages worth of Amazon search results, and all the books on the first page of results came out in the past year. Now I'm trying to think of what we did to check titles before Amazon. I automatically run my title ideas through the Amazon search engine to see if they've been used before, when, where, by whom, and how frequently.

I have to deal with the preschoolers tonight, but I don't have a choir rehearsal. That means that after dealing with the preschoolers, I can lie back on the sofa, put my feet up and have a glass of wine. The preschoolers all have a raging case of spring fever and are literally bouncing off walls. The attention span has shrunk to about thirty seconds. We can get halfway through a song and they're suddenly going, "Squirrel!" (sometimes literally, if they happen to be looking out a window and see a squirrel run past). We may resort to giving up and just playing music and letting them dance. That means I'd probably better put my hair up because the little girls like twirling around and make me do pirouettes for them. It's nice to know that no matter where I am in my life or career, I can awe preschoolers with my awesomeness just for knowing a lot about Disney princesses, Star Wars and ballet.

And now I think I've procrastinated long enough. Back to the drudgery of taxes, and then I can celebrate being done for another year. You know, I think I may have spring fever along with the preschoolers. I may need to go twirl.

No comments: