Friday, September 12, 2008

Battening Down the Hatches

The proposal for The New Project is just about done. All I have to do is fix the synopsis, since I came up with a new idea for it yesterday. And then another one early this morning. They're events that come later in the book, so I just have to weave them into the synopsis. I want to send it all to my agent today, in case there are power issues Monday.

I've got my arrangements made for the Browncoat Ball. Mom and Dad, I think this will be where I decide the birthday money went. I decided to splurge on a hotel room to myself instead of finding a bunkmate, and maybe that will allow me to get a little more rest. Plus, thanks to what seems to have been a fluke bad experience the last time I stayed at the hotel (no housekeeping while I was there, and construction starting on the room above mine at 8 in the morning on a Sunday), I got a free upgrade to the concierge floor. That apparently includes a breakfast and a happy hour. I don't know what other perks there are, so it will be my chance to find out why the concierge rooms always go first for RWA conferences, even though they're more expensive. I'm pondering maybe finding a less expensive hotel on my way home from Austin, maybe by the lake, for Sunday night to do some relaxing and resting to recover before I drive all the way home, and then calling that my fall vacation. Now I just need to figure out something to wear to the Ball. I'm not too worried about winning a costume contest. I just want to wear something I can dance in, and this year I will be dancing. I won't get myself roped into doing anything that keeps me off the dance floor.

And I have myself more or less prepared for whatever happens with Ike. It seems like the path changes with each newscast, but it looks like we'll get it Saturday during the day, with about four inches of rain and 40 mile-per-hour winds. I realized late yesterday that I didn't own a radio that ran on batteries, so when I ran errands this morning I went to Target to find one. Do you know how hard it is these days to find a plain old battery-operated radio? I ended up getting a Walkman-type cassette player with a radio, since I have a lot of tapes and my old Walkman is wearing out. Almost everything else in the store was iPod-related, and that doesn't help much if you lose power and are looking for weather alerts. It does mean I'll have to wear headphones to listen for weather alerts and can't just leave it sitting on a table and playing, but they didn't have a battery-operated radio with a speaker. I have plenty of flashlights and candles. I have enough books to last me months (I made my pre-hurricane library run on Wednesday -- that tells you where my priorities are, considering I only went after food and a radio today). Now I just need to fill some pitchers with water and maybe fill the upstairs bathtub, in case we lose water as well as power. I don't think it will be that bad, but better safe than sorry. You know hyper-prepared Ethan in my books? Well, you can kind of see where that trait came from.

And I guess I'd better take down my patio umbrella today.

1 comment:

Angie said...

For the future, you might try plugging computer speakers into the new Walkman instead of headphones. That way you could leave it on a table and walk away.

Hope you weathered the storm safely!