Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Back to the Grindstone

So, the article is done (yay!) and the copy edits are winging their way to New York (yay!). So I should be more or less free of the heavy-duty work type stuff for the rest of the year, right? That is kind of how I planned it.

Except .... Now I've heard from my agent about the new book, the one I wrote in a frenzy in August. The good news is that she loves it and thinks it could really be something. The bad news is that to make it live up to its potential, it's going to take a lot of work. The basic story and characters are fine, but the way I wrote it needs some adjusting that means essentially rewriting large portions of it. So, yeah, work. But I agree with what she had to say and I'm excited about doing it. There's no hard and fast deadline, but I want to get this done and out into the world. I'd like to say that I won't let myself fall totally into it and lose all track of everything else, but I know myself, and I know I can't seem to stop with the all-or-nothing thing. Either I'll be procrastinating or I'll be slaving. I will try to make time to do things I enjoy along the way, and I'm trying to take weekends (or at least Sundays) off, so we'll see how that goes. I stocked up on groceries and quick-to-make foods today, so I can maximize free time that way.

I am giving myself the rest of the week to relax and do the thinking part of the rewrite, when I mull over the things I need to change. There's also some minor research and planning to do. I'll be out all day Thursday, going to the state fair and seeing The Lion King with the parents, and I do have a few business-type things to do this week, so it's not like I'll be goofing off the rest of the week (as much as I'd like to).

I'm still hoping to have this totally done by Thanksgiving so there will be no heavy-duty work-type stuff to do during the holiday season, but now I'm almost afraid to say that because it means something will come up. Then again, something coming up usually means that I'm making money, and that is good. I need a new car, so income would be nice.

No comments: